Skip to main content

First Day of School


There will be bigger hallways and bigger kids.

There will be new sounds, new friends and new teachers

whose names might sound scary at first.

She'll line up, look back and file inside and at that moment

you'll realize this is your first day of school too.



(and if this sounds familiar it's because I stole it from a Children's Place ad..... it all too perfectly sums up my day today.)


So this was the moment I have been both looking forward to and dreading since the day she was born.  And even though she is the big sister, the big helper, the BIG girl in our house -- she never seemed smaller in her entire life as she did today.  

I went to the school during lunch to visit with her, to check in on her (and mostly to bring her a lunch because I could not make up my mind this morning before we left for school if she is going to be the kid that buys lunches or brings from home) and for reasons I'll explain below I should not have done this.  It took everything I had inside me to let her go and to not stay by her side to protect her from the mean kid in the lunch line that kept poking her in the face (true story... and I about punched him in the nose, too).  

Apparently my being there and then her having to leave me after lunch playtime sent her into an emotional, exhausted breakdown.  When I came to pick her up after school the teacher - very politely - asked me not to come to lunch any more.... well at least not for the next 4 weeks or so.  Once Sam got back into the classroom with the rest of the kids she was still very, very upset and upon seeing Sam's reaction a massive wave of crying kindergartners all wanting their mommy's began.  Yep, that's right... I've got the kid that can make all other kids cry!  I could only imagine what that scene was like... a teacher and an aide trying to calm down a class of kids all crying and whimpering for their moms.  So yeah, I'm not wanted back for quite sometime... at least until everyone is settled into school.

But, what's a first day of school without a mini-photo shoot...


this is her showing how excited she is to go to school...

Her best friend Emily!!!

This is Sam pointing to the school in the background at Emily's house.

Thanks to Emily who lives across the street from the school, the girls can walk together each day.


And of course little Brooke wanted a piece of the action... she truly looks up to and adores her big sister... and her big sister's cool friend!


And last but not least a few video clips smashed into one little movie.
(By the way... that's oreo cookie around Brooke's mouth at the end of this clip... no I do not let my daughter eat dirt :-)



Popular posts from this blog

Whoa baby, it's been a lonnnng time!

OK, here we go... my attempt to play catch up... Scrolling down you see it was just a few posts ago that I was so proud of my new lil 2nd grader. Well as time so often does it just flew right by and we just wrapped up 2nd grade year... watch out 3rd grade. As tradition in our house here is Sam's mini shoot commemorating her 2nd grade year.

Brody stories...

I know I’m biased, but I really do think my kids are hilarious and say the funniest things. Here’s a Brody story for you... Last Sunday (May 20th) we were eating dinner with the TV on in the background turned down pretty low. We were all talking about random things and then some image flashed on the TV. Scott looked to Brody and said ‘what is that?’. Side note: we are always trying to quiz him on what things look like and what he sees and if he can make out objects at certain distances away...given his eye issues.  Well, I don’t remember what the photo or image was on TV, but I remember his answer being not quite right. So a few seconds later something else appeared on TV - I think it was a cactus - and we quickly asked Brody ‘what is that?’... and he said cactus. And then a dog came on the screen and he just said dog (like the trained animal HE is ;-). And then...the next thing that came on the screen was a photo of some restaurant’s wine cellar and wine selection. So I asked,

Our prima ballerina!

Miss Sammy had her 2nd dance recital with Miss Annie's dance class. I was beaming ear to ear watching her dance her heart out. She was absolutely beautiful, graceful and completely poised. I'm so glad she enjoys dance class and can't wait to start up the next session.