Skip to main content

To blog or not to blog...

... that is the question?? Really, I feel like life lately has been pretty steady and uneventful - not much to blog about. Don't get me wrong, 2.5 year old twins do keep me busy, but no major event to report on. So I will share a thought... the other day Scott asked me a question and while I was in a less than talkative mood to really discuss the answer at any real length, it's frightful how in sync and in-tune to each other we really are.

The question was, what were some of my favorite childhood memories growing up. Now the reason this question took me back a bit was because as of late I have been thinking what are things I can do for my children to give them lasting memories and what were some of the moments I remember with my family. Bizarre... I know!

So since my mom and dad are frequent visitors here, I will say this... I love and adore my childhood! And yes, I can easily say that in retrospect because, yes it was less than perfect, but without a doubt it has shaped me to be the person I am today.

The reason I've been thinking so much about memories lately is because I am realizing that Sam is now at an age where she will begin to remember moments and events for maybe the rest of her life - scary, I know - but what is it that she is going to remember. We certainly don't have the funds to spurge on lavish vacations (getaways to San Diego where we under-budget our trip and are force to eat power bars all weekend will have to do), or mounds of material items. But, I am hoping that the special one-on-one time that we spend with each of our babies will be the memories that they cherish and hold on to forever.

I specifically remember two precious memories growing up that I will never forget... Thanks Mom and Thanks Dad!

The first was when my mom, brother and I were driving from the bay area to SLC, UT and we were traveling through the Sierra Mtns. My mom is the BEST person to travel with! There wasn't anything she didn't think of... to this day I would take her with me on every trip if Scott would let me. So, there I am bundled up in my favorite blanket in the back seat of our Pontiac Grand Am about to chow down on some chips and salsa. I curiously ask my mom if it's usual that the bag of chips be so swollen and blown up with air. Without so much of a glance back at me she quickly replies... Yes, the stores do that all the time so that the chips won't get crushed. I innocently shrugged my shoulders not giving it a second more of thought. I reached into the cooler, grabbed the tupperware of salsa set it on my lap and.... BOOM!!! The salsa and chips exploded all over me! The altitude and pressure of the Sierra Mtns. forced the chip bag and tupperware to burst showering me in salsa. Good times!!

Then my other favorite memory was the time my Dad picked up my brother and I to go camping for the weekend. He had one of those camper vans (creeping now, but cool back then) and we needed to pick up some things at the store... Thrifty's I might add. We grab the goods and headed back to the car, got in, buckled up and... the van wouldn't start. I don't remember exactly how long my Dad tried to get it to work - but it became dark quick so we decided that the Thrifty's parking lot would have to suffice for our camping excursion - and so we did it... we camped (well, camper camped) in the Thrifty's parking lot! I can't speak for my brother, but I know that I had so much fun on that weekend. And, if I'm not mistaken that might have been the trip where "slop" was invented. Now slop probably has a much tastier name in other family's kitchens, but slop was cream of mushroom soup and cream of spinach. It was a tasty dinner :-)

I'm sure it's no coincidence that two of my most favorite, treasured memories had nothing to do with how much money was being spent for vacations or things that were being bought... but rather the time that was being spent with my family. That is what I hope I can give to my own family.

Popular posts from this blog

Whoa baby, it's been a lonnnng time!

OK, here we go... my attempt to play catch up... Scrolling down you see it was just a few posts ago that I was so proud of my new lil 2nd grader. Well as time so often does it just flew right by and we just wrapped up 2nd grade year... watch out 3rd grade. As tradition in our house here is Sam's mini shoot commemorating her 2nd grade year.

Brody stories...

I know I’m biased, but I really do think my kids are hilarious and say the funniest things. Here’s a Brody story for you... Last Sunday (May 20th) we were eating dinner with the TV on in the background turned down pretty low. We were all talking about random things and then some image flashed on the TV. Scott looked to Brody and said ‘what is that?’. Side note: we are always trying to quiz him on what things look like and what he sees and if he can make out objects at certain distances away...given his eye issues.  Well, I don’t remember what the photo or image was on TV, but I remember his answer being not quite right. So a few seconds later something else appeared on TV - I think it was a cactus - and we quickly asked Brody ‘what is that?’... and he said cactus. And then a dog came on the screen and he just said dog (like the trained animal HE is ;-). And then...the next thing that came on the screen was a photo of some restaurant’s wine cellar and wine selection. So I asked,

Our prima ballerina!

Miss Sammy had her 2nd dance recital with Miss Annie's dance class. I was beaming ear to ear watching her dance her heart out. She was absolutely beautiful, graceful and completely poised. I'm so glad she enjoys dance class and can't wait to start up the next session.